Ok so I've had this idea for a Mad Lib video game for a while, but it's mostly been just "I'd like to play that". Now tho, I've been brainstorming ideas of how I'd like such a game to be as well as some concepts that should be put into consideration while making such a game.
First tho, if you don't know what Mad Libs are, they're little games where (speaking from playing only online ones) you're asked to fill out a list of words, and they'll ask for specifics, like a noun for one blank, a verb for another, ect. When you fill this out and continue, it puts those words you gave it into blanks in a short story, which often times leads to a funny result. Ever since I thought that this should be used in a video game, I instantly wanted it.
I'm thinking of developing such a game, but it'll be a side project cause Life Wars is my main right now. Other than the brainstorm list I have for it, I also got a list of RPG plots and such that I think would be really helpful! To make it more adventurous and have the player be more excited about wanting to see how the story unfolds, it'd probably be a good idea to have the storylines be random in some way, like randomized plot devices and senerios that the player will face as well as the main plot (which can be random too). If it's not like this, it'd basically be 'same s@#%, different words" and get boring real fast.
The only important brainstorming ideas I have for this game concept is-well, I'll list them.
1: THE main thing about such a thing/what people are looking forward to is the story and how wacky or warped it becomes based on their word selection. Because of this, there must be semi-easy ways to progress the story. Fun gameplay would be great, but if it overshadows the story and/or you have to do tons of gameplay to continue (like level grind for 5 hours to beat a boss or get a key item), then its focus goes to the gameplay add the player won't feel like there's much reward for the words they put in. Idk though, maybe someone could make it work.
2: I think for the kind of game I'd want with this, the player's word choices have to feel important, so I feel like most of the words should replace key things to the story. Things like villain plans, legendary items, protag's mission, ect. Some minor replacements here and there should be ok, like in place of potions/common items, but most should go to main story stuff.
3: For me, if a word in a spot doesn't make sense in a sentence, it just kinda lets me down. Like for base/root verbs that you do to something else vs ones you do to/by yourself for example. Say we need a root verb to do to the villain and we only ask for a verb. The player puts "think" so "I will think the villain!". Not good. Most action verbs that you can do to others you can do to yourself too, so there
isn't much probability for screw ups, but still. I think it'd be better to be vaguely specific when asking for words, like what kind of nouns you want. Places, events, things, names?
But yeah, that's just my take. I think a Mad Lib game would be nice idea to develop, and would be lots of fun to make as well as play. Maybe using those RPG plots for it will let me gain better understanding of the senerios that I can use for other games.
Thanks for reading!
No comments:
Post a Comment